On 2nd January 1817, Father Marcelline Champagnat, son of a farmer in the hamlet of Rozey close to the town of Marlhes in Loire, France, now Saint Marcelline Champagnat, founded the religious order of the Marist Brothers. A hundred years later, in 1918, four religious Brothers of this congregation came to Negombo, Sri Lanka, and took over the management of St.Mary’s College. In 1922, the school moved to its present site and assumed the new name of Maris Stella College, and thus our school was born.
Today, the College stands on an eight acre block of land only a short distance away from the centre of the city of Negombo commonly known as “Little Rome” owing to its large Catholic population and its beautiful churches.
About the flag
The College flag is composed of two blue strips and a red stripe in between. The upper blue stipe connotes God while the lower blue stripe signifies the earth and water. The red stripe in the middle stands for love. Thus the College flag is symbol of God’s love and man’s love for each other.
About the Crest
The main freatures in the College Crest are. A shining star, the English Letters A and M, 12 small stars,a yacht sailing in the sea and the words Iter Para Tutum. The shining star at the very top of the crest reminds that we are on a life jouney and this star shows us the correct way. The English letters A & M stand for the words “ Ave Maria “. The yacht likens our life’s journey to a yacht sailing the seas. The three Latin works “ Iter Para Tutum “ at the bottom means “ Show Us the Way “
|Postal Address:||Maris Stella College|
|Distance From Main City:||1 Km|
|Classes:||Grade 1 to 13|
|Number Of Students:||2500|
|Number Of Teachers:||138|
|Medium Of Teaching:||Sinhala/English|
|Other Sites :||http://www.marisstellacollege.net|
|Contact Person:||Rev.Bro. M. L Sunanda Alwis.|